- Work hard, but work smart. You make money with your brains, not your hands, but never be afraid to sweat (a lot).
- Always love your family, be close to your spouse, work hard at your relationships and tell your children you love them (often).
- Always tell the truth.
- If you get cold, put a sweater on. If you get hot, take it off.
- If you get hungry, eat.
- Never give up. Make sure your dreams are just beyond your grasp, follow your dreams, and dream big.
- Remember birthdays and anniversaries.
- Save your money.
- Use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without (this is an old piece of advice, but good to remember).
- Be happy and don't take your problems to work.
- You are a very capable and powerful person, be proud of who and what you are.
- Be kind & considerate of others, but don't let others harm you or walk all over you.
- Be organized. Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
- It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
- Semper in Excretum, Solum Profundum Variat (this is fake Latin for "Always in shit, only the depth varies").
- Halloween is the best holiday of the year (Boo!)
When I moved into my first apartment, alone, far from my parents, my dad wrote out and framed16 rules to live by. I came across them today while cleaning out my closet. It's a good list, and it's funny.